1st Lt. Levi W. Hart

     Levi W. Hart  Born at Green Bay Brown County Wis., on the 22nd of December 1835, he spent the first 19 years of his life in Brown and Oconto Counties.  He, animated  by a patriotism which his subsequent record as a soldier, marked with a  proud emphasis, enrolled himself with "Taylor's Chicago Battery," of   which he was elected 2d Lieutenant He, with his Battery, was assigned to  service with the forces which shortly after fought the battle of
 "Belmont," on which engagement Lieut. Hart entered with one gun and came out with three, receiving for his gallantly in this his battle, a  handsome compliment from his commander. He was  with his battery at the sieges of Fort Henry and Donaldson, on the Tennessee River, and at the latter place was in command of the Battery, and at which place he was conspicuously for his gallantry.

The enemy charge on the Taylor Battery and succeed in capturing one of the guns, Lieut. Hart called on his men  to charge for the recapture of the gun, which at large loss, and with fearful hazard, was handsomely done; with a rope fastened to the "tail" of the gun they actually dragged it away from the enemy. His gallantry  on this occasion  was rewarded by Gen. Sherman prompting him, on the field, to a First Lieutenancy. He commanded his Battery at "Bloody Shiloh" where it had the honor of opening the first fire on the enemy,  and where it did credible and gallant service throughout the entire engagement. He, with his Battery was engaged in various engagements,  skirmishes, marches and counter marches, which finally resulted in th investment, siege and capture, of the stronghold, Vicksburg by Gen. Grant.

At Vicksburg he was detached from Taylor's Battery and put in command of a siege battery, which he commanded until the capitulation,  after which he participated in the Battle of Black River, and in the capture of Jackson, Miss. By this time the hurrying  and fatiguing  duties of campaigning  together with sever injury received in battle, so undermined his health, that rest was a necessity and he was furloughed.

Under the influence of a healthful climate and the ministration of kind friends his health soon sufficiently restored to enable him to return to duty, which he did, and was assigned to the command of the "Silverspear Battery" (1st Illinois Light Artillery Battery "H")  with which he remained until his final Muster out.